About West Bend, Wisconsin
We are located in the Western part of West Bend, Wisconsin, a city with about 31,600 (2018 estimate) residents. West Bend is located about 30 miles NorthWest of Milwaukee, WI.
West Bend History
Before the arrival of European settlers in southeastern Wisconsin, the Potawatomi and Menominee Indians inhabited the land now occupied by the city of West Bend.
In 1845, the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature authorized the building of a road to connect Fond du Lac and Milwaukee. Byron Kilbourn, one of the highway commissioners, and Jasper Vliet, a surveyor, were put in charge of determining the route the road would take and of identifying a good halfway point for travelers. The path they chose is now U.S. Route 45 and the rest stop is present-day West Bend.
Because many people used the resting place, it evolved into a popular area. The Milwaukee River running through the town eventually played a major role in the city's history. It was because of the western bend in the river that West Bend got its name. The river also produced enough energy to power saw mills and gristmills. Early buildings included Holy Angels Catholic Church, built in 1852 at the corner of Hickory and 7th. In 1866 this building was converted into a school, and a new church was built at Elm and 7th under the direction of Reverend Johann Baptist Reindl (1827–1891); the building is now Trinity Lutheran Church. The railroad arrived in 1873, bringing with it more settlers and industrialization. At this time, West Bend saw a growth spurt, and in 1885 the city officially became an incorporated Wisconsin community.
The Village of Barton
In 1845 early settler Barton Salisbury, while on a surveying trip up the Milwaukee River, found a rapids that he believed would be a good source of power for a sawmill. He built a log hut on the west side of the river and the village of Barton was born. On November 1, 1961, the city of West Bend annexed the Village of Barton.
(The above history courtesy of Wikipedia.)
The Ridge Run Weather Station Location
The Ridge Run Weather Station is located on South University Drive next the the Ridge Run Park (300 S University Drive),
thus the name of this weather station.
Glacier activity is evident at this park with its steep ridges and valleys. Anglers, birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts will
enjoy showy seasonal displays. Shelters, picnic area, hiking trails, fishing, play fields, play equipment, sand volleyball,
horseshoes, ice skating, lighted sledding hill, x-country ski trail, & heated restrooms while x-country skiing available.
Ice Age Trail, West Bend Segment – Washington County
Located along the western edge of the city, the nearly 6-mile segment is unexpectedly rugged and forested,
and provides quite a workout for those looking to get active this winter.
There are numerous hills and valleys as it traverses through Glacial Blue Hills Recreation Area and Ridge Run Park.
These parks have distinct characteristics that highlight landforms created by glaciers.
As the trail winds through the parks, one section merges with technical singletrack mountain biking routes
and another follows the shore of Wells Lake, where ice skating is common in the winter.
In operation since: 01/01/2013 (4068 days)
Console - 3xD batteries, sensors 1xrechargable via solar battery
Temperature: every 5s
Wind: every 5s
Spectrum Communications cable connection
Spectrum DOCSIS 3.1eMTA modem, Netgear RS400 router